Tuesday, January 29, 2013

INheritage Preview


Indonesia was never really known for our games. Of course plenty of Indonesians works in the game industry, but as developers most are only known for browser or mobile games. INheritage is one such game, a shoot 'em up developed for mobile by the guys at Tinker Games. What makes this game different than the others?

The first thing that you'll notice with INheritage is the very thick Indonesian culture infused within it. I was never really  fan of games which uses traditional Indonesian setting in it but INheritage successfuly sets itself apart from the others, at least in terms of the setting and overall design.



The fact that they are modernizing some traditional concepts and designs makes this game really intriguing. This is what a game representation of a culture should look like. I don't mean that the original traditional culture is outdated but let's just face it that for gaming, Indonesian culture without any added flair would just look boring. Of course this is my personal opinion, but you have to realize that "cool factor" IS a big part of gaming. And the added "fantasy" design to this game successfully does that.



The character designs looks great and the enemy designs, which are re-imaginings of traditional monsters and hosts from Indonesian culture are really great. I tip my hat to all the artists involved in this project because what they have created really makes me interested to see more.



As far as gameplay goes, the game is a horizontal shoot 'em up with visual novel elements. Not many information has been releasd about the gameplay so I can't really talk much about it but I've seen some of the storyboard for the game and it is really good. If you like Visual Novels or at least JRPGs, expect that level of story writing within this game. Do note however that I only saw an Indonesian version of the storyboard so I don't really know if they're going to release an English version of this game.



For those of you who like to play Mobile games on your Android Phone/Tablet or iOS, do check out INheritage when it's released this year. They're currently planning on a first quarter release for the game and I'm looking forward to playing it. Oh and there are going to be some voice acting in the game, so that's really a big plus for a mobile game I suppose.



Check out their Facebook Page here: http://www.facebook.com/INheritageID

For other Indonesian game devs or indie game devs from other countries. I would gladly do a preview, first impression or a review of your game. Just send me the press kit and I'll definitely post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment